Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have an older home i western with an older 100a fuse

Customer Question
I have an older home...
I have an older home i western ky with an older 100a fuse panel, I have added onto the house sq footage wise, and installed a 200amp panel. I subfed the existing fuse panel from the new 200amp panel. I now am going to replace the fuse panel with a 100amp breaker panel. however. some of the old circuits from the old fuse panel have the white conductor connected to the hot, and black to the neotruel bar. Am I going to have to change all these circuits before hooking-up the new brk panel because of color difference? everthing works fine. polirity plug says its right in old part of house, but will inspector turn it down? my name is ***** ***** ky master eletrician. russelleville, ky. thanks so much
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have not. I'm gong to sell the house, and did not want to be surprised.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I could put colored heat srink on wires in new panel. but don't want problems.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/9/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 10 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Neutral branch conductors are only allowed to either be white or gray in color, per the NEC.

2) The only time a white conductor is allowed to be used as a hot conductor is if the conductors are part of a cable assembly and it must be re-identified with black electrical tape.

3) Whoever originally installed the fuse panel obviously was not a competent electrician and it should never have passed a code inspection with black wires landing on the main neutral bus bar. Poor electrician and shame on the inspector if the installation was even inspected.

4) I recommend to contact the local building/electrical inspector and see if they will allow you to re-identify the black neutral conductors using white electrical tape. If allowed, both ends of the black conductors will also need to be re-identified at all boxes. The white conductors that land on a fuse or breaker would also need to be re-identified with black electrical tape along with the wires in the downstream boxes.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor