Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

One air handler on a double 70 amp breaker stopped running

Customer Question
Jason, One air handler on a...
Jason,
One air handler on a double 70 amp breaker stopped running when it called for accessory heat coils to kick on.
The power to the adjacent quick disconnect was off.....BUT...The double 70 was not tripped.
I then reset the double a couple times and all seems to be OK now.
What might be happening?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/9/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 10 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Sounds like the 70 amp breaker was in fact tripped but the handle just didn't indicate it. I see that occasionally. As far as why it tripped that is unknown. Perhaps the inrush current was too much for it and it tripped, maybe the breaker is getting old and needs to be replaced, there could be something going wrong with the heater unit or the heater supply circuit. For now, keep an eye on it. If it does it again then you know you have a problem.

If you're satisfied with this answer please rate me. Thanks!

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician