Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have an electrical circuit not working the breaker isn't

Customer Question

I have an electrical circuit not working the breaker isn't tripped. I replaced all the outlets and checked the wires...
I replaced the circuit breaker.
Nothing.
One of my other outlets just stopped working.
??
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What area of the home is for the dead circuit? Kitchen, bathroom, etc?

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to take voltage measurements?

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

1) Are any of the devices on that circuit wired using the back-stab insert holes or are the wires terminated to the device side terminal screws?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's in the Kitchen.Both backstab and side.The other circuit that just died is the front entrance within 10 feet of the kitchen.I own a multimeter somewhere.
I was using a voltage checker pen to check to see if the wires had power in my attic.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

I am sorry, I am not able to make a phone call at this time.

1) Non contact voltage pens won't work. You need a 2 wire lead tester or a multimeter.

2) Did you check if any GFCI's tripped?

3) If you replaced GFCI receptacles, you need a tester or a meter to confirm that the LINE and LOAD sides were not reversed.

4) It is not recommended to install wires into the back-stab insert holes as the wires are prone to come loose. Side screw terminals are always recommended.

5) Once you get a meter, check a few of the dead receptacles as shown in the following diagram. Let me know the 3 voltage measurements.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All of the outlets were installed correctly.Nothing crossed.
Nothing Lose.
They are perfect.
No GFCI's either.
These are receptacles behind the Microwave.
Behind the Trash Compactor
Behind the Toaster and Mixer.Now I also have one other circuit out as well.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

That is fine, but you still need a multimeter to confirm voltages and troubleshoot the problem. Get your meter and we can continue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
for F sake.
Let me find it.
Where am I checking voltages?
Since the outlets have none.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Sorry but I have opted out of the question. The question will be placed back to the open board. No need to reply back to me, you will be notified if another expert picks up the question.