Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I installed a bathroom exhaust fan in the bathroom. there is

Customer Question

i installed a bathroom exhaust fan in the bathroom. there is a single pole switch currently turning on light above sink. There is also a receptacle. The Live wire comes into the light box and goes to the receptacle and to the switch. How do i wire to add the fan
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes. The fan is installed and vented and I ran a 12/2 back to the switch box. Just wanted advice on wiring it
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Home is about 30 years old
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There is only wire coming into the switch box before i ran the wire from the fan. It was a black and white. They we're both hot when i started
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The fan box requires a switched loop hot that originates from the wall switch.

2) The fan box also requires a neutral wire. If the wall switch box contains a neutral wire, then the 12/2 cable can be extended to the fan. The black wire will be the switched loop wire and the white neutral will need to be spliced to the white neutral inside the wall box (if the wall box contains a neutral)

3) Keep in mind that a white wire inside a switch box can also act as a hot conductor and may not be a true neutral wire. A 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or a multimeter will be required to confirm if the white wire is acting as a hot wire or is a true neutral wire.

4) White wires that are used as a hot wire also need to be re-identified with black electrical tape.

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)