Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Theres a flexnet sensus electric meter on by house, I need

Customer Question

Theres a flexnet sensus electric meter on by house, I need to turn off power from meter temporarily. There seems to be a handle with red grip, does pulling the handle down turn power off or do these smart meters come off when you pull it off like tradition electric meters?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its a smart meter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

The handle is a by pass handle. When pulled up it allows the service to continue with the meter removed. With the handle raised remove the meter and then put the handle down to cut the service. Keep in mind that removal of the meter for any reason should be done by the utility company

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that handle with red grip is a bypass? so if its down, does it simply needs to be pulled up to turn power on?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

That's correct.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Keep in mind this handle is inside the box not outside! its really small. is that how the city turn power on and off?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

The by pass is for work on the meter without cutting power. A smart meter can terminate service remotely by the utility.