Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I recently decided to slowly transitioning my house to be a

Customer Question

I recently decided to slowly transitioning my house to be a "smart house". Adding wifi enabled thermostat and have now moved to smart switches. I decided to replace the switch in my master bedroom with one of the smart switches I changed it out and works just fine. However, no outlets in my room work.... circuit is not tripped and I'm exactly sure what the problem is... help!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Go back to the switch box and double check for loose wire nut splices or loose back-stab inserts.

2) Do you have a multi-meter to confirm voltages at the dead receptacles?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I forgot to mention that there are 2 switches in the junction box. However, second switch is not connected to anything and has never controlled the outlets
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have an outlet tester that currently isn't reading anything in any of the outlets
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Checked all wire nut splices and none are loose
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I took out the switches there was a black wire connected between the 2 switches.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
None of the outlets are gfci
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) Is the tester a 2 wire lead (contact type) or a non-contact tester?

2) It is very common that a bedroom has at least 1 switched receptacle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The tester is 3 prong plug into outlet type
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) The right side switch should not contain a black jumper wire as that will create a short circuit.

2) You need either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or multimeter to check the voltages. A 3 prong cube tester is not sufficient.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) Once you get a tester or a meter, take voltage measurements at a few of the dead receptacle. Most likely, there will be an open hot wire on the circuit. See diagram shown below:

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will disconnect the jumper wire. Inside the wire nuts are 2 black wires twisted together, 1 black non function wire, 3 white wires twisted toether
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) A single pole switch which contains 2 screws has 1 hot wire terminated to 1 screw and the switched loop wire terminated to the 2nd screw. there is never a jumper in between the 2 screws on a single pole switch.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what is the purpose of the jumper? Why would the previous owner had it? Also, the whole bedroom is on one breaker, why would light and ceiling fan be operational but not outlets?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where would jumper be connected to if not connected to 2 screws on one switch?
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) A regular single pole ON/OFF snap switch never contains a jumper wire from screw to screw. There is no purpose. The jumper can cause a direct short circuit. Was obviously not wired correctly.

2) You have either an open or loose hot or an open or loose neutral wire somewhere. Most likely an open hot wire at the switch box would be my guess. A meter can easily confirm this.

Whenever performing electrical work, a meter is a must have testing instrument. Without a meter, it becomes a guessing game. Get a meter and we can continue.

3) Jumpers are only used as a pigtail to splice a hot wire to another hot wire. They are not used to tie the 2 switch screws together. A single pole switch requires 1 hot circuit feed and 1 switched loop and they are never jumpered together.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) A pigtail wire is also used to provide for 1 circuit feed hot into the switch box, and then sending each hot to 2 separate single pole switches.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have disconnected the pigtail and now connected switch 2 screw switch to one red and one black wire.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
From box there is a upper and lower section. The upper section has white Black and red coming out of it and the lower section has just white and black. How should I connect switch?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I leave black or red from top out or should I integrate into one screw?
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) We are wasting time by guessing.

2) Make a Home Depot run and purchase a multimeter for $25 or less or borrow a meter from a friend or a neighbor. You need to confirm which wire in the wall box is the hot wire and you also need the meter to confirm if the receptacles have an open hot or an open neutral.