Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a vintage 1950's Westinghouse fan. It's in pretty bad

Customer Question
shape so I can't tell...
I have a vintage 1950's Westinghouse fan. It's in pretty bad shape so I can't tell where to tie in the new cord. I have a new ungrounded cord. I have the hot and neutral from the wall socket- a rotary switch which appears to have a red, black, and green? wires- then a two wire cord from the motor. Inside the fan there is also a plate that Has two wires coming out of it. Can you help me wire this back together
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just started working on it last night
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
12/30/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

What are the colors from the fan motor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure if they have been retired but from the fan motor there is a three wire cord green, yellow, and orange. Yellow and green are the only ones used
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rewired

I'm going to opt out. Not sure with the wire colors given.

Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 1 year ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello I might be able to help you. Do you have an ohmmeter or multi-meter to test the wires with? Also, could you take a picture of the wiring area and upload it here?

Ok stand by while I review this. Is there a little plate on the fan with a model number or anything?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a Westinghouse
Cat.No.12 LA4
Part NO. Y-4693Volts 115
Cycles 60
Amps. .7

Thank you. Where is the green, yellow, and orange cord that you posted about earlier?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced it. It is now the cord you see on the inside of the fan coming from the motor.

Oh ok. I'm not sure what the plate with wires is so I will have to do a little research into it. I notice some numbers on it but can't make them out. Can you see what the whole number is?

Have you ohmed the plate? I'm thinking it could be a resistor for low speed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm guessing you are correct. The numbers are Y28664-1
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** sense to me now. My low speed resistor must be shot, it works on high speed but won't in the low speed position.

Are you restoring this fan? Check out this guy's restored fan just like yours:http://www.afcaforum.com/forum5/37725.html

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate me. Thanks!

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician