Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Just had electrician change out our outside electrical

Customer Question

just had electric***** *****ge out our outside electrical outlets. our gfi switch located in our basement controls the outside outlets and kept tripping out when it rained. how do I fix this?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: 12 yrs. I had an electrician come out in the fall and he changed our outside outlets
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: not sure whats needs done
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not really, just what to know why this keeps happenning
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is anything plugged into the exterior receptacles? If so, unplug the. Does the GFCI still trip under a no load condition?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ill unplug and see
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not tripping when unplugged
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

1) Did you have an extension cord or XMAS decorations plugged in and it came into contact with the rain?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

1) Common problem this time of year. I go thru the same thing every XMAS with my exterior decorations.

Water and/or moisture is finding it's way into the cord or open cord ends and is the cause of tripping the GFCI.

2) If the exterior receptacles don't have an "in use bubble cover", you need to install them.

3) I also suggest wrapping some Saran wrap around the extension cord plugs and ends. You can also use a cord seal and these often help and prevent water from getting inside the cord ends. See link shown below:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/cord%2520seal?NCNI-5

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

Please consider a 5 star rating before you log off.............Thanks..............Kevin:)