Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a 25 amp rated D.C. Inverter stick welder. We had an

Customer Question
addition added onto the house...
I have a 25 amp rated D.C. Inverter stick welder. We had an addition added onto the house so I had the electrician put a receptical on that fit the welder. The only problem is the switch on the fuse box is a 50 amp 220v. I noticed when I ran it on this vs the 220v 30 amp off the generator, the welder seemed to work much better( welding thicker material) at lower settings. My concern is wiether the machine is being pushed too hard, or wether the generator output is not consistent, its a 7500 w generator but it's a no brand. I'm thinking that hopefully if you plug a 25 amp welder into a 50 amp plug it only draws 25 just like any 110v appliance below 15 amps would. The specs as follows from the website
Specifications
Name 165 Amp-DC, 240 Volt, Inverter TIG/Stick Welder
SKU 61792
Brand Chicago Electric Welding
Amperage (amps) 25
Duty cycle 40% @145 amps for MMA, 40% @155 amps for TIG
Maximum amperage output (amps) 145
Minimum amperage output (amps) 10
Open Circuit Voltage 85
Thermal Overload Protection (y/n) Yes
Weldable metals mild steel, low alloy steel, and stainless steel (not suitable for aluminum)
Welding capacities MMA up to 1/4 in; TIG 22 gauge to 1/8 in. thick
Product Height 7-3/4 in.
Product Length 12-1/2 in.
Product Width 5-3/4 in.
Shipping Weight 20.70 lb.
Size(s) 165
Wire size (in.) 1/16 in, 3/32 in,1/8 in. for MMA welding.; 1/16 in. & 3/32 in. for TIG welding
Accessories Included cables, ground clamp, electrode holder, strap
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correction the original post should say *** the welder seemed to run hotter, weld thinker material on the home connection 50 amp 220v. And would not run as hotter for the giving setting on the 30 amp generator. Don't know if it's getting inconsistent feed from the generator, or if that's he normal and is being pushed too hard on the home 50 amp***
11/29/2016
Electrician: Steve G., Electrical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Steve G., Electrical Engineer

The rating on that welder is 25A at 220V.

Technically, It should be on a 35A or 40A circuit. A 30A circuit is too small which is why your generator is having a hard time providing the required amperage.

You need a larger generator becuase even though it is rated for 30A, the circuitry in welders requires some peak amperages which a generator of your size cannot provide fast enoiugh.

Please let me know if you need further help.
Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeh is it ok to run on a 50 amp plug the electrician installed. Was just worried it could hurt the machine to run on 50 amp 220 house plug, when rated for 25 amp, but it will only pull what it needs right? Strange the welder is 25 amp but has a 50 amp nema 6-50r. Also I have a 50 ft 8/3 extension cord to plug into the 50 amp household box will I have sufficient power with the extension cord ?

Assuming the cord is copper, #8 is adequate for 50A.

You should be fine.

Please let me know if you need further help. If not, please take a second to rate my service tonight using the stars at the top of the page.

Thanks very much.

Steve

Steve G., Electrical Engineer