Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Ok I'm installing a steam shower and I'm very rusty on code

Hello ok I'm installing a...
Hello ok I'm installing a steam shower and I'm very rusty on code so I'm asking could I Wie in 2 20am 2 pole gfci breaker into main panel and wire 220v steamer to normal 220v socket and run a normal receptacle for the 2 pumps or do I have to run a 40 amp breaker to a subpanel/disconnect with gfci breakers it shower is being installed into master bath
11/28/2016
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide me with the manufacturer name and model number of the steam shower?

Valencia Steam Shower Sauna With Jacuzzi

1) Is there a model number?

I'm looking for it now
Added special sheet
Specs sheet
Only thing I'm finding is 2016 valencia I only think they make one model

Thanks for the replies and install sheet.

1) I am going to opt out of the question since the install sheet is not clear and has contradictory electrical specs. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified if another expert picks up the question.

Instruction sheet shows 3 separate dedicated circuits all being 240 volts, yet they show the 2 pumps as being a 3 wire circuit with 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground. A 240 volt circuit will always have 2 hots.

For whatever the reason, the steam shower manufacturers always have poor or incorrect instruction sheets. 1 portion shows a dedicated 30 amp circuit while other portions in the instruction sheet show 20 amps.

Yeah I've been scratchingredients my head on that also only thing I could think is 1 20 amp 2 pole breaker and feed each pump that would make them 110 each

1) Just as I suspected, the country of origin is in China and their technical writers are among the worst in the electrical consumer product industry. I've never come across any steam shower manufacturer instructions that were clearly written.

I recommend that you contact the distributor where it was purchased from and ask them to confirm the various voltages along with the correct quantity and size of the circuit breakers.

Sorry I can't assist you:(

ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Joseph, I agree that part of the instructions are contradictory,

if the motors each have a nameplate it should be evident what the voltage rating is. If, as the instructions suggest, they arevall rated at 220 volts, no neutral would be required, rendering that lart of the instructions incorrect.

And...if indeed all 220 volts, you would need the three circuits as instructed. Individual GFCI Breakers are recommended, though I do not have any official input as to whether you could use a single GFCI to a sub panel.

Please let me know if you have any questions and remember to rate my service before leaving the site.

Thank you

I haven't got shower yet was going to do rough in I understand the instructions must be wrong it has to have a neutral to be gfci protection my question really is is it ok to feed shower with gfci breakers from main panel or do I have to run and 50 amp subpanel and put gfci breaker in subpanel to be break out box near tub also like hot tube wiring

Sub-panel per the manufacturers instructions. I recommend a minimum of 60A, a #4 CU feeder on an 90A breaker would be better

There nothing in the instructions about subpanel I'm looking for code for steam showers per electric guide lines I had my journey man card 15 year ago and anything back then around water was gfci protection so if I run a subpanel circuit have to be protected

The sub-panel is not required to be GFCI protected, only the circuits directly connecting to the steam shower. I do suppose though that if the sub-panel is GFCI protected the individual circuits would be inherently protected. Remember too that the sub-panel cannot be located in the bathroom or steam shower area. Other acceptable locations may be just outside of the house adjacent to the steam shower or through an adjacent wall separating the steam shower room.

ProGrade

Joseph, please remember to rate my service before leaving the site so I can be paid for part of my time.

And, let me know if you have any questions, thank you

ProGrade
ProGrade