How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7529
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to connect a Bryan double pole double throw switch to

Customer Question

Trying to connect a Bryan double pole double throw switch to switch house power to generator power for my garage heater. Always get one side to work and other side pops circuit breaker on power source. what's wrong or am I just stupid?
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Are you saying that the generator trips? If so it's because it is GFCI protected and the bonding of the house service. You need to float the ground from the generator at its connection.

I need to suggest connecting the generator to the switch and not at the service panel with a means of disconnecting the utility power is a violation and a danger to you and anyone working on a repair by the utility for power restoration. You need a generator breaker sized for your generator and an interlock assembly to allow for only the main breaker or the generator breaker being on, never both at the same time.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good advice. I'll let you know how I Make it work. Thsnks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Go to the link below for complete info.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Another site.