Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I'm installing a new outdoor light, A few minutes. There is

Customer Question
I'm installing a new outdoor...
I'm installing a new outdoor light
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: A few minutes.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: There is two sources of power coming into the junction box. 1. From the inside of the house is 1x black, 1x white and 1x ground The outdoor switch is 1x black, 1x white, 1x ground, and 1x red The light fixture has small holes with little screws to tighten once wires are inserted. I have a hole for white, black, and the ground post. Not sure how to proceed
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
11/25/2016
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Welcome to justanswer.com

Would it be possible to send a picture of the box the fixture mounts to and of the connections on the fixture?

Also, is there another light that is on the same switch?

Thank you

Thanks, looking...

Do you have a multimeter or test light?

If so, turn on the light switch that you want to control this light and find the hot wire in the box and let me know which one it is.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have my multimeter with me :(

OK, with wiring like this it appears that the black and the red wires are on different switches.

Without a meter it will be trial & error (or hopefully no error).

Connect the red wire to the fixture. Connect both whites and a 6 inch pigtail under a wire nut then connect the other end of the white pigtail to the fixture. With another wire nut connect both blacks together. Connect the bare ground to the green screw on the fixture. When you get to the point you can test it before you mount the fixture and let me know if it works properly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One question. There appears to be a ground coming from both sides. Which do I use for fixture? Or join and pigtail for ground too

Yes, twist together, cut one off, connect the remaining single wire to ground

Mike, Master Electrician