How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kevin Your Own Question
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 3671
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Kevin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a hydrostat that requires 230 Volts single phase to

Customer Question

Hi, We have a hydrostat that requires 230 Volts single phase to work.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Our facility has 480/277 and 240/120
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: We will hire an electrician
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is there a transformer we can use to get the required voltage based on facility voltage available?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) 220 or 230 or 240 volts are all nominal voltages. 240 volts will work for your application. No need for a transformer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My line voltage is 120.Hydrostat requires line voltage of 230.
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

If your electrical panel is configured for 240/120, then you have a 230 or 240 volt available source.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
product will go to Brazil where there voltage is 220 v 50 hz
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

1) Then that can become a problem due to the frequency. 50 htz is slower than 60 htz in the US.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
240 is line to line, Corret?Not 240 line to neutral.
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Yes, 240 is line to line voltage.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need a transformer to bost 120 v to 230?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

If the panelboard only has 120 volt capabilities and you require 230 volts, then yes, you need a step-up transformer.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.