ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have a Generac Model13K guardian. It runs great but

Customer Question

I have a Generac Model(###) ###-####13K guardian. It runs great but doesn't put out any voltage. According to the Diagnostic repair manual troubleshooting chart, I performed test 5 which checks for continuity on wire "O" and it checked good. Next it had me do test 6 to check for field boost. It measured 9.1 VDC. Normal according to the manual is 4-6 VDC. It says to replace circuit board if not normal. What is the part number for the board? I can't seem to find it. Also, I have gone through 4 voltage regulators over the past 1 1/2 years. Could the high VDC be burning out the regulators? There isn't any Generac dealers within 100 miles and I run a youth camp on top of the Big Horn Mountains. This generators is our life blood when power goes out (which is becoming more regular). Generac isn't much help.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About 3 years.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The generator gets used about 4-6 times a year when we loose power. Just trying to figure out why we keep loosing the voltage regulator and if according to the test, do I need to replace the board and what is the part number.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

If you can send me the model number and the serial number of the generator I can get the part number for you tomorrow

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I attached a picture of the data plate for you.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, I will let you know what I find.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 8 months ago.

The part no is 0G58840SRV

Here's a link to one source:

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/generac-0g58840srv-replaces-0f89920srv-p-1181.html

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the part number. The question I have is, according to the Diagnostic repair manual troubleshooting chart, I performed test 5 which checks for continuity on wire "O" and it checked good. Next it had me do test 6 to check for field boost. It measured 9.1 VDC. Normal according to the manual is 4-6 VDC. It says to replace circuit board if not normal. I have gone through 4 voltage regulators over the past 1 1/2 years. Could the high VDC be burning out the regulators? Will a new board provide a lower VDC? Is the 9.1 VDC coming from the old board burning out the Voltage Regulator?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 8 months ago.

Yes the high-voltage could be damaging the voltage regulator. Regardless the PC board should be replaced per Generac troubleshooting directions.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 8 months ago.

Did you perform test 1 & test 4?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, the troubleshooting started with test 5 and test 6. Since test 6 failed, it said that I need to change the board. therefore, I stopped there.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 8 months ago.

I recommend going thru both tests to rule out other issues.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I will. I'll let you know my findings. It may be a couple of days before I can get back to it.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 8 months ago.

OK, at your convenience, just let me know, thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Test 5 & 6 passed. Installed new board and system voltage works again with old voltage regulator still installed. Will keep new Voltage regulator for the future and will order another circuit board to have on hand in case of another failure. Being located on a mountain off the grid, this back-up generator is our life blood when power goes down. Last week, power was down for 18 hrs due to a snow storm. Came close to freezing our water lines. Thanks for your help.Question. We can get down to -40 in the winter up here. Could this be what is causing our boards and regulators to be failing regularly? I've installed a heating blank on the battery and the heat coming from it raises up under the board and voltage regulator. Maybe this will help?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 8 months ago.

I will have to check on the temperature limitations on the board/regulator. That is extreme. Glad the battery heater helps.

I will let you know but if I can't find it online it may be Mon or Tue before I reply.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Expert:  ProGrade replied 8 months ago.

Thank you much, hope y'all do too. Glad to know that you have backup for now if it's needed.