How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7590
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm trying to locate a main circuit breaker made by General

Customer Question

I'm trying to locate a main circuit breaker made by General Switch company type GDP.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The wrong circuit breaker was installed 30 years ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I may unless I end up having to update the box.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is a push-in type breaker. The original breaker was a 125 amp which was shorter. The longer 200 amp was installed but would not engage all of the way. This causes the lights to dim when the electric heaters come on in the winter.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to

Have you unplugged the existing breaker to see what kind of shape the panel is in? With the bad connection like you described it's possible that the lugs that the breaker plugs into are damaged. I recommend that you do a visual inspection before you go any further. In the meantime I can look for a breaker.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The lugs are burnt slightly. I was planning to replace the breaker if I can find one.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have located what I need.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will this be a one time charge of $16?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 months ago.

I highly recommend that you replace the panel. Lugs that have overheated will continue to deteriorate. If arcing damage occurs, it can be unsafe.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You have not told me anything that I did not already know. I was trying to find a supplier for a General Switch breaker or a direct replacement.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 months ago.

If you are not satisfied with my help, please do not rate the service and you should not be charged. If you are charged, contact customer support or let me know and I will contact them for you. Thank you

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. General Switch breakers may or may not be available used, but I suggest a Siemens or a Cutler Hammer BR series for a replacement.