Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a ceiling fan that is not working, I just bought this

Customer Question

Hi, I have a ceiling fan that is not working
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I just bought this house and the ceiling fan is not working, it seems to have power but the blades are not spinning and the light is not turning on
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can take pictures
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I thought that a neutral white wire was loose but they all seem to be firm in place.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) It appears that the fan has a remote receiver located inside the ceiling canopy cover, correct?

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it has a remote receiver and yes I have a voltage tester.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Remove the wire splices from the output side of the receiver and measure for voltage using a 2 wire lead AC volt tester or a multi-meter. It is possible that the receiver is defective and may need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please call me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Which one is the output side of the receiver, the black, white, green or blue wires?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, but I am not able to make a phone call at this time.

The receiver output side will have black, white and blue wires.

Using the handheld transmitter, measure for receiver output voltage while toggling the transmitter fan/light buttons ON & OFF.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I disconnected the ceiling fan and the voltage between black and white wire is 77. Is it normal?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

No, should measure approx 120.

Measure from output black to output green ground wire and let me know the measurement

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is only one black and one white wire coming out of the ceiling and the voltage between the two is 77. What do I do?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

The receiver has 2 wires on the input and 3 wires on the output side. The output side has black, white and blue. Measure for voltage on the output side from black to green ground.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) If unable to measure for 120 volts on the receiver output side from black to white and from black to ground and from blue to white while toggling the handheld transmitter fan and light kit buttons to the ON position, then the receiver is defective and will need to be replaced. This is assuming that you have 120 volts on the receiver input side.

2) Also make sure the 4 position DIP switch settings are identical at the receiver and at the transmitter.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just bought a new ceiling fan, but the problem with the voltage remains. The voltage between the white and the black wire coming out of the ceiling is only 78 instead of 120. What should I do?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) What about voltage from the ceiling black to the ceiling ground and the ceiling neutral to the ceiling ground? How many volts for these 2?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It doesn't have a ground wire.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

The ceiling box is metal which is grounded. Measure from the box to the black and from the neutral to the box.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
From white to metal box is 19 and from black to metal box is 2.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) Somewhere upstream of the ceiling box there is either a faulty wire splice or a loose wire termination.

Hot to neutral should measure approx 120

Hot to ground should also measure approx 120

Neutral to ground should measure 0

2) If these is a wall switch that over rides the remote control, measure voltage at the wall switch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no wall switch. What should I do?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Is the ceiling fan box wired with Romex cable or with metal conduit?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just took a picture.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the pic

1) Looks like the wiring is either knob and tube or an older version of cloth wires. There is no ground, therefore, disregard the voltage measurements to the metal box. There is also no box connector for the cable. Code violation there.

2) You will need to trace out where the ceiling box connects to on the other end. Will most likely be at a nearby wall receptacle or could be at another nearby ceiling box.

3) Is there an attic area above the ceiling fan box?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is a wall switch that affects the voltage. When the switch is off the voltage is 62 and when the switch is on the voltage is 78. That's very strange.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What should I do?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) Does one of those switches over ride and control the ceiling fan box or is the ceiling box hot wire tapped off from one of the wall switches?

2) What type of wall switches? Single pole or 3-way's?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think the left switch controls the ceiling fan. I am taking a picture for you. Please let me know what to do.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

How many screws on the left switch? 1 black and 2 brass screws? Looks like a 3-way switch since it contains a black screw?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the left switch has one black and two brass screws.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

That is a 3-way switch then. From the black screw to a bare ground wire, measure if there is a constant 120 volts when that switch or the mating 3-way is ON or OFF. If the black screws has a constant 120 volts whether ON or OFF, that is the LINE side connection. You will need to locate the other 3-way switch that is the switched loop wire which extends to the ceiling fan box.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
From the black screw to a bare ground wire the voltage is 18 when the 3 way switch (left) is on and 4 when the 3 way switch (left) is off.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

OK, there is a problem with either a hot wire or a traveler wire on the 3-ways.

Locate the other 3-way switch that mates to this 3-way and measure for voltage from it's black screw to ground.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is it the switch on the right you are talking about or is it a completely different switch in the house?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Will be another 3-way switch at a different wall box location.