How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike Your Own Question
Mike, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 1425
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im installing from the [email protected] pole two panels a 200 amp and a

Customer Question

im installing from the [email protected] pole two panels a 200 amp and a 100 amp.ones for the house and the other is for A.G. watering. Question is what size wire do i use as a feeder to my weather head for [email protected]?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: [email protected] just put my pole on my property a week ago. New construction.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Both panels a mounted on the [email protected] pole.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many amps is the main service? 400 amps or other?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Those are the main service 200 amp panel for the house 100 amp panel A.G. Water coming from PG&E pull into a gutter that will feed both panels
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

1) So are you saying the main service is 200 amps and the 100 amp panel is a sub-panel feeder from the 200 amp panel?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. Two different meter main panels from the weather head. Being feed from the same jutter. Sorry
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

1) There is typically only (1) one main service irregardless of the quantity of meters.

If 2 separate meters, I suspect the main service is 400 amps but you need to confirm that before I can provide the main service entrance conductor size.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Those are the main service.
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

1) Can't be 2 separate main services into one building as that is very rare and requires local electrical inspector approval.

If this is for a single family dwelling, there is only (1) one main service and it will either be rated from the utility as 100 or 200 or 400 amps in most cases.

If the overhead service drop consists of 3 wires (2 hots and 1 bare neutral) extending into (1) one common cabinet and then spreading out to 2 separate meters, the main service is still (1) one.

2) You either have (1) one main service probably rated as 400 amps or the main service is 200 amps with a 100 amp sub-panel. I can't provide you with an answer until I know how the service is configured and what is delivered from PG&E?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No going in a building, I said on the [email protected] pole outside. From their they go different ways.
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board to allow other experts to chime in.

Unless I know the service amps being delivered into the building from PG&E, I am unable to provide you with the service entrance conductor size as it is all based on the total amps originating from the utility transformer.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. If I understand your question you have a pole with a meter and you need the size of the service conductors to a gutter for the 200A & 100A panels, correct? How long is the run?