Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a 10-15 year old remote controlled ceiling fan

Customer Question

I have a 10-15 year old remote controlled ceiling fan ceiling fan. It is presently running. However, Using the remote control It will not change speeds and the light fixture will not come on. Yes, I have tried replacing the batteries with no luck. What is next?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: As far as I know, My wife noticed it only this morning.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Up till now, nothing that comes to mind
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Most likely, the remote receiver has failed.

2) Does the fan have pullchains to control the fan motor and the light kit? If so, you can temporarily by-pass the receiver to confirm if the light kit is working.

3) If you have a multi-meter, you can also take voltage measurements at the receiver output to confirm if the receiver is defective.

4) Also double check the 4 position DIP switch settings at the receiver and at the handheld transmitter. The DIP switch settings must match.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)