Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I wish to add an standard duplex outlet to a Kichler

Customer Question
Hi - I wish to...
Hi - I wish to add an standard duplex outlet to a Kichler Lighting Power Supply Hardwire 50w Cabinet Accessory in Black 12353BK, via the next run in the space inside the 12353BK. What are the requirements to keep this in electrical code given that the future duplex outlet will not be in a wall, but will be attached via single gang box.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
11/14/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Receptacles are always required to reside inside a box.

2) Are you looking to tap off of the Kichler power supply to provide 120 volts to a receptacle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Kevin -
1) Understood on the first point - I'm trying to make sure if I have to place the 12/2 wiring in a PVC or equivalent to get to a box.
2) Correct - tap off the Kichler power supply to provide 120 Volts to a duplex outlet. With the planned duplex, I will still be under 10 outlets total for the circuit breaker.Thanks!
Michael

Thanks for the replies Mike.

1) Adding another receptacle onto a 15 or 20 amp breaker is not an issue.

However, the power supply is only 50 watts which is designated for the lighting. By tapping off of the power supply, there may be insufficient wattage available for a plugged-on load. Watts Law is P = I x E. Solve for I. 50 watts/120 volts = .41 amps.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as there are two of the 12353BKs, on the top part of a cabinet, separated by approximately 5 and 1/2 feet - am I allowed to run 12/2 from the first to second, or do I need to run this through some type of PVC? I want to make sure I am staying in code ... both 12353BKs currently their own dedicated wire run so I'll simply re-terminate one of them into a remodeling box and 20A duplex outlet.Thanks!

1) The 12/2 NM Romex cable needs to be protected by either installing the cable inside conduit or box the NM Romex cable and protect it by using wooden furring strips. Either method will be code compliant.

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor