Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

The house inside conduit has 5 red black and a bare copper,

Customer Question

the house inside conduit has 5 red black white green and a bare copper, I know to connect the colors together. what is the common wire and I think it gets wired to the bare ground but not for sure. I put bare one on to the green screw of the unit but I'm left with this green one now were does it splice into with the bare one????
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: is the green go to the white as the common for fan and indicator light
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: help
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answers. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

It's unusual to have bare ground wire together with grean on the same pipe but i will conect the grean wire to the green fan skrew. and just to make sure open the switch box and check where the bere wire terminates.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I put green with white as fan and indicator light and that was correct.its working fine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I answered my own question before you got back to me,what now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You going to give me VA discount??

Ok that's grait have a nice day we do take some time to type the answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NO you said your team was going over my question,not typing so I answered my own question before you tried to type cause it says when you're typing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What are you doing looking It up like I did on Google. No rating from me 101 screwed. I'll check my account for this charge. 101 st airborne special 9 yrs ops forces you have the best day you can.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bad rating 1/2 Star
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) White is the common wire called the neutral.

2) Bare copper and green are equipment grounding conductors. If the conduit is metal, that is also acting as an equipment ground.

3) It is a code violation and a potential safety issue to bond the white neutral to a ground wire. Neutral and ground are only bonded together at the main service disconnect and never bonded together downstream. The neutral is the return conductor in a 120 volt circuit in which current is passing thru. By bonding the neutral to the equipment ground, you have created a safety issue. Remove the white neutral to ground termination/splice.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)