Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

My ceiling fan and light will not turn off. PG&E worked on

Customer Question

My ceiling fan and light will not turn off. PG&E worked on area lines this morning and turned the power off for a while. When they turned it back on my light and fan came on. It is hard wired. Changed the battery, and remote still did not work. How do I turn it off?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) It is possible that once PG&E restored power, a surge may have occurred and could have damaged the remote receiver. If the remote receiver is located under the ceiling canopy cover and you have a multi-meter available, you can confirm the voltage at the receiver out put.

2) Does the fan contain pull chains to manually control the fan and light kit?

3) No wall switch installed that can over ride the remote?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No pull chain or wall switch.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) Since no chains and no wall switch, the only other option is to turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position until a visual inspection and the receiver voltage output can be confirmed.

2) Since changing the battery, have you confirmed that you didn't accidentally change the DIP switch settings at the handheld transmitter? The DIP switch settings on the handheld transmitter must match the fan receiver.......ie........ otherwise, will not work.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)