Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a ceiling fan with lights in my kitchen and the

Customer Question

I have a ceiling fan with lights in my kitchen and the lights are not going to full power. Any idea what could be causing this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: about two weeks
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on what needs to be done.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: all the other lights in the kitchen seem to be working just fine
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please clarify, what do you mean by "not going to full power"? Are the lights dimming or flickering?

2) What type of light bulbs? Incandescent or CFL or LED or Halogen?

3) Is the fan light controlled by a wall switch or by pull chains? If switch controlled, what type of wall switch? ON/OFF snap switch or dimmer switch?

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) Are the fan light bulbs rated for the fan light socket wattage and the bulb type?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have had this fan with the same lights over 5 years
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
typing is better. the bulbs are halogen and not on a dimmer. but if I was going to compare to lights on a dimmer, on a five point scale, 1 low and 5 high. The lights are at one.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) If the 3 speed fan motor is working OK, then I would be suspicious of a loose wire splice at the light kit.

2) Have you double checked the light kit splice (probably a blue wire) inside the ceiling canopy cover? If the canopy splice appears to be OK, I would check the light kit wiring harness connection near the fan motor.

3) Does the fan light kit contain a wattage limiter?.......ie.....a black plastic electronic component installed near the fan motor housing. Approx 3/4" x 1" rectangular shape. Perform a visual inspection to confirm if the fan has a wattage limiter and see if it shows any signs of burnt marks.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) If you have a multi-meter available, you can also confirm voltage at the light bulb socket.

2) Can you temporarily install some incandescent bulbs and see if the light kit returns to normal brightness?

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)