How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kevin Your Own Question
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 3724
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Kevin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to find a diagram on correctly grounding and

Customer Question

I wanted to find a diagram on correctly grounding and bonding a new 200 amp electrical service to a residence in San Francisco California from ground rods to panel water pipe water heater gas pipe all of those things I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to be run can you help me
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: It is a new termination can and service panel with a sub panel upstairs that is being done by an electrician at my mothers house I'm just not completely confident in his work and was curious before consulting with the building inspector or electrical inspector rather whether it was done correctly
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No I do not if it is not correct I plan on hiring one of the union shops in San Francisco to come finish it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's everything I'm not exactly sure what what else you might need
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the exterior ground rod does not exist, install two ground rods spaced a minimum of 6 feet apart. Connect the 2 rods together as one contiguous run to the main panel neutral bus bar using 4 AWG Copper wire. No splices allowed.

I also recommend that you contact the local electrical inspector as they may want the ground rod connection to also be bonded to the neutral connection inside the meter socket. Keep in mind that local electrical codes and the local electrical inspector always have the final say-so and approval.

2) Also at the main panel neutral bus bar, connect one 4 AWG copper ground wire from the street side of the city metal water supply pipe and jumper it across the water meter to the house side.

3) If the home interior water supply lines and gas piping are all metal, bond the cold and hot water supply lines and the metal gas pipe at the hot water heater riser pipes using 4 AWG copper.

See attached diagram for the water heater bonding:

4) The sub-panel feeder needs to be a 4 wire circuit comprised of 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor. The neutral must be isolated at the sub-panel. The sub-panel also requires a separate equipment ground bar.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.