Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I am selling a 1923 Bungalow and have it almost totally

Customer Question

I am selling a 1923 Bungalow and have it almost totally restored I have GFCI's installed in the kitchen and bath which the electrican says meets code , as in 1923 3 wires were not required . Is he correct?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1 day
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No the work s already done
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: N NO
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes, that is correct. Most homes wired prior to 1965 or so were not grounded. A 1923 home was definately not grounded and the circuits did not contain an equipment grounding conductor. The circuits only contain a hot and a neutral wire unless the home was wired with metal conduit.

2) If replacing any of the original 2 prong receptacles with 3 prong receptacles in the home, then an upstream GFCI device will now meet code. Therefore, you are good and code compliant now:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)