Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have a levitron 10/20/30/60 timer in the bathroom for our

Customer Question

Hi Mike - I have a levitron 10/20/30/60 timer in the bathroom for our heat/exhaust fan. It is about 2 years old, rarely used. It just started buzzing - althought the buzz lessons the longer the fan is running. We have not tripped electricity, so I am assuming it is the unit. I didn't know if it was just a loose wire or we the whole thing had to be replaced?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: the fan works perfectly fine. the buzz is coming from the wall where the levitron timer is located. The fan is in the ceiling
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It depends. I thought I would go an get another timer. Who installs it is not clear yet.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i just want to make sure that the noise (although unpleasant) is not dangerous? I don't want to spark a fire or anything
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Most times that noise is the result of a loose connection. It is a sound of arcing. If the wires are tightly connected it is bad contacts in the timer and it need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
before i replace it I could check first to see if there is loose connection? It is dangerous to keep using it while it buzzes?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

If arcing it will cause additional damage. Check it out as soon as possible.