Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I built two sofa tables with a shaft that will lower my rear

Customer Question

I built two sofa tables with a shaft that will lower my rear surround speakers to where they cannot be seen when they are not in use. Connected to both shafts is a 12 v dc actuator. I am trying to wire so that when motion is detected, the actuator extends, raising the speakers. And when motion has not been detected for an extended period of time, the actuator retracts. I would like to use a relay and two smart z-wave switches (link to product below) to control the motor. The first z-wave switch, when activated, would trigger the relay to extend, the second switch, when activated, would trigger the relay to retract. I have never used a relay so do not know if this is actually possible. Really would like to make this work.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Z-Wave-Wireless-Rocker-On-Off-Light-Switch-Includes-White-and-Almond-Rockers/999913765
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 11 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help. I'm not quite following the logic behind the two switches. They are motion detectors I assume. How does the second motion detector retract the mechanisms if there is no movement? Why two switches?