ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have a gate opener that was powered by a solar panel, then

Customer Question

I have a gate opener that was powered by a solar panel, then I had an electric line run to the gate and the opener runs off of a power supply plugged into the outlet. The opener quit working. I opened the box and found one of the connections to the battery was corroded and broken. What purpose does the battery serve if I running off power?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 11 months ago.

Hi Richard, welcome to justanswer.com

Does the opener work without the battery connected?

If so, the battery is for backup power in the event of a power outage.

If it works without the battery, obviously you can leave it disconnected. Some systems require a battery and run on 12 volts, only need power (or solar) to keep battery charged.