Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a 10KW generator that works great when the power goes

Customer Question
out, but the well pump...
I have a 10KW generator that works great when the power goes out, but the well pump will not run. What do I need to check? It should be enough to handle the load, right?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
10/21/2016
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

I need some information to be able to assist you.

What size in horsepower is the pump?

How far is the generator from the well?

If a deep well, do you know approximately how deep it is?

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pump is 1/2 HP. 200 FEET from the generator, and 600 ft deep.?

Thank you, the generator is more than adequate for that size pump. Check the voltage at the pump house or well head while on generator power with some of the other loads on the generator that would normally be on. The voltage may be low. Else, you might have a bad capacitor or start relay at the pump.

Let me know what you find. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have this problem with ONLY the generator switch on. And, the problem has occurred with more than one pump. How would I help increase the voltage to the well? What would be sapping it? Thank you!

Either the voltage output drops under load which would be an indication of a defective voltage regulator or you are experiencing issues with voltage drop due to the distance and size of the wire.

You coyld test the voltage at the pump house or well head when the pump is trying to start.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

If the generator voltage drops drastically while the pump is trying to start, then, test it at the generator while the pump is trying to start. If it remains in the 225 or greater range at the generator, it could be a problem with wire size since it has happened on more than on pump. The starting amperage is many times higher than the running amperage on a motor.

ProGrade
ProGrade