Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I just bought a GE Air Conditioner Disconnect. 60 amp 240

Customer Question

I just bought a GE Air Conditioner Disconnect. 60 amp 240 volt with non-fusible puller. Probably model number TFN60RCP. The instructions for wiring are so dark I cannot tell for sure how to proceed. There are 2 points for the hot and neutral on the left and 2 on the right. 2 in the center and below I assume are for the 2 ground wires. How do I properly wire the hot and neutral wires on the left (incoming) side and right (outgoing) side?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Your neutrals and grounds need to be separate the neutrals should be insulated from the enclosure. The choice of terminations are, lugs that are insulated from enclosure are for the neutrals. The ones that aren't are for the grounds.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know where to wire in the grounds. I can see that much. The instructions read, "Incoming hot (line) wires from the feeding branch terminate in lugs (1) and (2). Outgoing hot (load) wires to the air conditioner unit terminate in lugs (3) and (4)." The illustration shows the box with 1 and 3 on one side and 2 and 4 on the other side. Each number has a line running from the number to the box. But the illustration is so darkened that I cannot see precisely where each line terminates at the box. If it wasn't for the poor illustration I wouldn't be here.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

The upper lugs are Line connections. The lower lugs are Load connections.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. There are 4 upper lugs and 2 lower lugs. The two lower lugs are for the Line and Load grounds. Do both Line wires go to one side and both Load wires go to the other side or do both black wires go on one side and both white wires go on the other side?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

That disconnect having 4 terminals uses the inside pair #2&#3 for Line, the outside #1&#4 for the Load. If you look at the pull out, you'll see the connections

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just found that out from a Youtube video.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Very good.