JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-
JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-,
Experience:  Journeyman Electrician, Lead Man (Sub-Foreman) at Romanoff Electric
93576554

How do I change a 48" fluorescent light bulb? I have

Customer Question

How do I change a 48" fluorescent light bulb? I have literally spent hours trying to get this done. This time after about five minutes I got some solid light, but it was not full brightness. I tried for a few more minutes and finally got full brightness! However, I was afraid that if I turned the lights off they would not turn back on full, so I left the light on for a half hour before turning off and on, and sure enough the lights were flickering again.I had this same problem a couple years ago, and I had an answer on JA about placing a mark and turning but no longer have it archived. When I take the bulb and put it in the socket, should the two prongs be parallel to each other, or should one prong be on top and one on bottom. Then after I insert it in one of the two ways noted above, I then turn it a quarter turn towards me or away from me?Can I do this while the light is one safely? If not, then I don't think I would ever get it right. Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You may remove and replace lamps with the fixture on. You need to make sure that both pins on both ends are in the sockets. There are several types of sockets, so without seeing the one you have I can't say the insertation position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not standard? This is in by bathroom. I need to know which direction to align the pins on the light blub. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The prior expert told me, but it was a couple years ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

The need to be parallel to the fixture. They should stop when turning the lamp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget the fixture, I am just talking about the light bulb. Should the prongs on the light blub be side by side (parallel) or with one prong above the other? Thanks.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Side to side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then I take the bulb with the prongs side by side. push them into the two slots, and then rotate a quarter turn to me or away from me? Thanks. (Any other tips?)
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

As I said, there are several types of sockets. If there are 2 slots, the lamp will just push in and not turn.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then I have problems. Could I send you a pic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by two slots? Every web site I have been to has said you need to turn, as did the prior expert.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Send the picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you can find a web site that doesn't say you need to turn, I would like to see it. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Sockets are

1. Insert straight in and turn
  2. Insert at an angle and turn
  3. Insert side by side and push in

With out see it, I can't say for sure. They all have the pins side to side when set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the photo:
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

That socket is one that you insert the pins straight in and turn 90 deg. The pins need to contact the metal inside the socket sides.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just take the bulb with the pins side by side and push into the socket and turn toward or away me one quarter turn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By just putting the bulb in does that ensure that it will contact the metal inside the socket sides (whatever that means)? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If not, what else do I need to do?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that I can't make you understand. I'll opt out and let another expert help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That difficult to explain?
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4- replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome to JA/ Pearl, my name is***** and I will try to answer your question today.

Looking at the picture you provided there is a slot that the pins slide into after you align each end, from there you will turn the bulb until it clicks which is about a 90 degree turn. Look at the end of your bulb, align pins on each end to slide into tombstone slot , insert bulb on each end ,then turn.

Let me know if that helps you out otherwise I may be able to find a video

Here's another video that may help you, one thing to note he's installing them on the ceiling and you are installing on a wall so you will start with the pins horizontal not vertical

https://youtu.be/KeSDKk5_8rc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it to work before you came out, but don't know if will stay. I take it that I should have the pins side by side, then turn one quarter turn to me or away from me (or either way?) If I replace this light fixture, is there another that is easier? LED the same? thanks.

Yeah once you have the bulb in the slot you can turn it either way to lock it in. A LED would obviously be a different type of light fixture with a nrew set of replacement challenges depending upon the type, usually they aren't as hard to change though .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More simple if directions just said that if you look at the socket you will see two brass pieces of metal. Align the prongs on the light bulb so they are in contact with these brass pieces. Nobody says this.

There are more than one style of bulb, but your description works and that was what I was trying to convey to you. I'm guessing you were able to make the bulbs work? I'll still be here if you need me, until then don't forget to rate me , and have a nice evening !