Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Trying to replace an old 4 wire thermostat with a new 2-wire

Customer Question
thermostat. This is line...
trying to replace an old 4 wire thermostat with a new 2-wire thermostat. This is line voltage. The older thermostat has L1, T1, L2, T2. The wires going to L1 and L2 are hot (used tester) and I assume T1 and T2 go out baseboard heaters
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 2 minutes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i dont know
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
10/15/2016
Electrician: Heath.M, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Heath.M
Heath.M, Home Appliance Technician

Hellommy name is ***** ***** will be my pleasure to assist you. What you will need to do is wire one wire from the baseboard and then there will be two wires left these will go to the thermostat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont understand that answer at all. what do I do with the two hot (line) wires? and what do I do with the two (load) wires?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would appreciate a more direct response to my question, 4 wires existing wires: two line (L1, L2) and two load (T1, T2).

you have 4 wires now? 2 power wires and 2 from the heater. one line wire will connect directly to the heater wie. leaving 2 wires these will connect to the thermostat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Seems like the heater would also be one, if I did that but ok, I will try now

one loine wire to the heater will not turn the heater on it needs the other line wire to which will be made and broken from the thermostat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much. Everything seems to work. I appreciate your help

no problem glad to be of service to you. Have a great day

Mike, Master Electrician