Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I installed a legrand proximity sensor in my kitchen. i came

Customer Question
Hi, i installed a legrand...
Hi, i installed a legrand proximity sensor in my kitchen. i came with a black, yellow and red wire. I hooked it up correctly becuse its workin like it should/ >m problem is my lights in the bathroom down the hall( exhaust fan also) and lights in living room do not come on when i flip the swich. Im lost as to why???
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a few hours
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: already did
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, i typed in my problem
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
10/11/2016
Electrician: Steve G., Electrical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Steve G., Electrical Engineer

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

What wires were in the wall box? Can you tell me how many and what color they were?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there were 4. a ground a black(hot) and the other two were also black, so i couldnt determine exactly which one was the load, and how the yellow and red wires wee to be connected

No whites?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
didnt see one. there was some whote on them, but both were black. Sensor is workin correctly, but lights in bathroom and living room wont come on when the swich is turned on. confused as to y
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still there??

Ok, would you happen to have the model number of the switch? And also, do you have a multimeter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yeah, its a Legrand, RRW600UtCCCV4. no, dont have a multimeter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no that electrical savy, but can change out switches and light fxtures.

Ok. Was the original switch a three way switch? I.E is there another switch across the room or around the corner that controls the same light?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
dont think it was 3 way. That switch controlled only a section of the lights in the kitchen. others are on there own switches

So the old switch just had two wires attached (not including the ground)??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it had a ground and 3 wires. one of which was the hot, that i identified, and hooked up to black wire on the sensor.

Ok. Sorry for all these questions but I'm trying to get a good idea of what you have there.

You say that the switch had three wires. Was each wire connected to a different terminal on the switch or were maybe two of them tied together?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thats fine. im trying to figure out what i did wrong( if anything) and how and y its affectin other lights on there own switches.

Ok. So...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3. the hot was by itself on the top of the traveller, the other 2 were at the bottom. on around ths side screw, the other inserted in the slot just next to it.

Ok. So you need to keep those two tied together. One should be hot. They should be connected to the black wire on the switch.

One of those two wires carries voltage to the next room where you are having trouble.

The yellow on the switch is capped off.

The red should be connected to the remaining black.

Give that a try.

I'll be here.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wire the 2 black togrther to what wire on the sensor? or to eacj other and NOT on the sensor

Yes. The hot and the second black to the black on the sensor.

Cap the yellow

Connect remaining black to the red.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if i cap the 2 black togeher that leaves me with no wire to hook up to the red
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oh i see, so your sayin there will be 3 black wires hooked tohether. Correct??

You told me you had three black wires in the box.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thats what im sayin. so, o dont hook up all 3 black together? if i do, that leaves me with one remaining and ill hook up the red one to that

Yes. The three wires are:

1. Hot wire from breaker.
2. Wire to next room.
3. Wire to fixture.

Tie 1 and 2 together and connect to switch black.
Connect 3 to switch red.

Let me know.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, i hooked all 3 blacks toghether. my lights work in the bathroom now, but still not in living room. weird
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sensor seems to be workin correctly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well, take that back. its not

Ok, you may have 2 and 3 crossed. Switch them around.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you mean red with yellow?

No. I numbered the blacks for you earlier. Swap 2 and 3.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, im confused. i know where the hot goes, where do 2 and 3 go? on the sensor?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it 2 blacks with the red then?

Remove the switch for now.

The hot HAS to be connected to one of the other two black wires in the box to pass voltage through to the next room.

Figure out which one that is - the lights in your other room will work.

Let me know when you have done that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all three black are hooked up. I had it like that a minute ago, and the only light thatwa still out was the one in the living room. that was with the reamaing black connected to the red. yellow disconnected
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
LOL. and i thought this was gonna be easy

You are confusing me because I am trying to step through this logically and you are then jumping five steps ahead. :)

Put the switch to one side for now please.

Have you identified the hot from the breaker and the black wire to the next room?

If so, please connect them together and then see if the lights work in the other room.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have all 3 black togrher. i have NO idea which one leads to the other roo. I do know when i have the 3 black together and the Rekaining black to the red the light work in the bathroom but not living roo. and it appears the sensor does work like its suppsoe to. WTF?

Ok. Let's try this again.

Throw the switch behind the sofa. I don't want you messing with the switch.

The three wires in the box are:

1. Hot wire from breaker.
2. Wire to next room.
3. Wire to fixture.

Pick any two and tie them together. Do this until the lights in the other room work. When you have that let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. so here what i got. all 3 blacks hooked together. the remaing balck connected to the red. yellow diconnected. Got the lights iand fan in bathroom to work and living room lights as well. But not the sensor. It clicks like its suppose to, but light stay on. so, wow. what the hell is going on???
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you know what crazy. with it wired like that, the lights in the bathroom and livibg room come like its operating on the sensor. whoa!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well bathroom anyways
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
LOL. damn and your an electrical engineer!! seriously!!!!!
Steve G., Electrical Engineer