How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask canuck the pro Your Own Question
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 2882
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
canuck the pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are lowering our kitchen counter top which means we have

Customer Question

We are lowering our kitchen counter top which means we have to lower the power connections and switches for the disposal and dishwasher. Is there a code as to how close you are to the counter top near the sink (about 6 to 8 inches to the right of the sink) and left as to how high off the counter you are required to be with the power connections
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: dishwasher works fine
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not yet
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. There is no code for either of those things except that they must be accessible otherwise moving the switch and outlet is simply a matter of choosing where you like it. Also if the wire must be extended then the connections for the extension must be in a junction box so that the connections are accessible. They cannot just be covered up and left in the wall. One other concern may be the plumbing. If the drain is coming out of the wall then the drain will likely need to be lowered too. If the drain pipe comes out of the floor then the height will not be an issue.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You have the option to use a Tyco Splice for the extensions of the circuits and they can be covered in the wall. The are at any home center for around $8.00.

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 10 months ago.

Tyco splice extensions are not for residential use despite the rating on the package. There are very specific uses for this item but you cannot put them inside the wall unless it is a modular home or mobile home.

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 9 months ago.

I see you still have not positively rated my service. Although the only way that I get paid is when my service is positively rated, it also tells me that you have not received the information that you were seeking to find a solution to your issue. Will you let me know what affect the information I provided had on the issue at hand and how else I may be able to help?

Related Electrical Questions