Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a Sofpool-it is an above ground, vinyl pool. I am

Customer Question
I have a Sofpool-it is...
I have a Sofpool-it is an above ground, vinyl pool. I am buying a replacement motor and noticed a red tip, which they say is a bonding lug. I now see the bonding lug on the old motor but it was never used and my pool is since 2007! Reading another post here, I think maybe it is not needed because the pool is all vinyl. Plastic ladder. Pleas make it simple, I am female, but took physics. I know about electricity theory, but couldn't do anything practical!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Like I said, I have had this pool since 2007.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, my husband is a millwright, and can install the motor, it is simple. But he won't do electrical work. The old motor(I have had two) has a bonding lug, which was never used. I am just noticing this, since the new motor has it in a different place with a red cover, so I asked what it was. Now I am concerned about it, but since I have had pool since 2007, with 2 motors, and no bonding, it must be Ok. I also saw answer about bonding on site and it was saying all metal parts had to be bonded. My pool has NO metal parts.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: You don't seem to be listening or understanding. I have a new motor. I am trying to install it. No, I have never consulted an electrician. The vendor I bought the pool from installed it years ago-2007, and I have already changed the motor once without problems. now I have a new motor.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have told you everything I can.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
10/7/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The purpose of the lug is for a termination of a #8 solid copper wire that needs to encircle the pool, 18" from the pool and at least 4" deep. Anything metal within 5' of the pool needs to attach to the bonding wire. It is code and a safety

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician