Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

What is the going rate for digging a trench for an

Customer Question
electrical service for a residential...
What is the going rate for digging a trench for an electrical service for a residential property in Weston Ct 150 feet 42" deep
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Just talking with the home owner. It is over head now and they want to burry it
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I am a landscaping contacter
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just need to know the going rate per foot
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
10/6/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) A budgetary price for a 150 foot trenched run @ 42" deep would be somewhere in the ballpark of $2,900 or $19.33 per linear foot.

2) This price does not include the electrical cable and/or underground conduit material costs nor the associated labor costs to bury the cable or install conduit. Above price only includes labor and the rental price of the trenching equipment.

3) Due to the length of the run, aluminum URD cable (4 wire cable - 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground) buried and pulled thru Schedule 40 or Schedule 80 gray electrical PVC conduit will be the most cost effective and recommended solution. If installing copper cable, the material price will increase above aluminum cable.

4) I do not recommend doing a direct burial as the cable is subject to puncture and soil heaving over time. It is always recommended to install underground electrical services inside a conduit as you only want to trench the run one time.

5) I recommend to obtain 3 firm written quotes from locally licensed electrical contractors. Typically, the middle priced bid will be the most realistic.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor