Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Ok, here we go! My swimming pool has underwater lighting

Customer Question
that is on a 15...
Ok, here we go! My swimming pool has underwater lighting that is on a 15 amp circuit that is protected by a GFIC receptacle that is outdoors which works fine on its own. The jacuzzi that is attached to the pool has a blower that pumps air into the line coming from the circulating pump. Which also works fine on its own and has never been a problem. Now, the blower motor is controlled by a submersable manual switch which is mounted inside the jacuzzi right at the water level. It is not a conventional switch, but rather seems to have a sort of piston that is pushed to displace air or water to operate the switch. Now, the issue is that when the switch for the air pump is operated it trips the GFIC on the circuit for the lights which is a totally separate circuit. So, the question is, how can the switch on the air pump trip the GFIC on what appears to be a totally separate circuit. intuition tells me that it's not possible. There is clearly something going on here that I don't understand.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You are correct

The underwater light should be on its own circuit as the blower should be. You'll need to trace the wiring to verify they are. In doing so check for any water infiltration which could cause GFCI trips.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand what you are saying, but I order to turn the air pump on or off I have to shut off the breaker for the pool lights. I will take a closer look but it just doesn't make sense.

One more thing, an underwater light should not be on a circuit shared with anything else. The receptacle and the blower connections are a code violation.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician