Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Why are my LED under cupboard kitchen lights flicking on

Customer Question
although they are switched off...
Why are my LED under cupboard kitchen lights flicking on although they are switched off
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
10/2/2016
Electrician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the one and only thing that will cause that is a defective switch.

Let me know if you would like to test that (you will need some skills) or are up to replacing the switch yourself.

We can go from there without a time limit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will check switch but even with mcb for that circuit they are still doing it,the live for kitchen main lights and under cupboard lights is at the switch even disconnecting the wire from back of switch doesn't stop them from flicking onn

Thanks, ***** ***** possible that the wire for the LED's is running past a garbage disposal or dishwasher motor and picking up current by induction when either of those units are running...that would be if the lights flicker when unplugged.

aside from a defective switch, that leaves us with a defective mcb... the more you work with it, the more the cause will become clear, we can go from here without a time limit, please rate my work when we finally get this sorted out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing using a large current is running as kitchen not being used yet

It is possible that the polarity is reversed on one of the other lights in that circuit... try it with all lights off, then turn them on one at a time do discover the culprit if that is the case.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will check that too,the under cupboard lights are the only lights controlled by that switch
I have a 3 gang wall switch,one switch controls under cupboard lights,one controls one circuit of ceiling down lights with led gu10 and last of 3 switches controls the other circuit of ceiling down lights also with led gu10

The reverse polarity can be *anywhere in the entire circuit controlled by the same panel breaker.

In rare cases it can be anywhere in the any of the house's circuits

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reverse+polarity+fllickering+lights

read several of these, not all are precisely on point

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer