How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kevin Your Own Question
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 3674
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Kevin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Round box on the wall for the hardwired light. We want the

Customer Question

Round box on the wall for the hardwired light. We want the light to go away (with our help) and be replaced with an outlet (switch powered, like the light.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Haven't started yet.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I do not think so.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Are you just looking to replace the existing light fixture with a duplex wall receptacle and a cover plate?

2) Will the wall receptacle be controlled by the existing wall switch?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Single or double. Yes to the switch.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

OK, Thanks for confirming.

1) You will need a metal cover plate shown in the link below that will attach to the existing round box. The duplex receptacle will then mount to this cover.

Walmart sells these cover plates as shown in the link below: Depot and Lowe's also sells them.

2) Turn the circuit breaker and the wall switch both to the OFF position and remove the existing light fixture. Then terminate the black house wire to the brass screw on the receptacle and terminate the white neutral wire to the silver screw on the receptacle. If you have a bare copper ground wire or a green insulated ground wire, terminate that to the green ground screw on the receptacle. The receptacle will now be controlled by the existing wall switch

3) You will also require a round finish cover plate for the wall box. I've never seen these sold at Depot or Lowe's, but a local electrical supply store should carry this type of finish cover plate.

If unable to find a finish cover plate locally, here is a link to a website that sells them:

Reply back to me and let me know if this helps to answer your question..........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.