Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have 2, 3 way switches that control 1 light. I need to tie

I have 2, 3 way switches that control 1 light. I need to tie in 2 more lights so they operate off of at least 1 of the switches. I have run wire from where the new lights are going thru the wall and above the switch by about 2 feet. I wanted to put a junction box above the switch and tie into the wire going to the original light. Is this going to work?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) On a 3-way switching arrangement, one of the 3-ways is for the circuit feed and the other 3-way is the switched loop that extends out to the light.

2) You have 2 options. Either splice into the 3-way switch box that is the switched loop or splice into the existing light fixture.

See diagram shown below for a 3-way switching arrangement:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can i tie into the wires that are from the switch to the light? Do they allow me to call you, it may go faster

1) You can splice into the 3-way switch that is the switched loop conductor. But you cannot tie into the 3-way switch which has a constant 120 volts on it's black (COM) screw to ground. If you tie into the switched loop 3-way, that box also requires a neutral conductor which you may not have in the box.

2) The easiest method is to tie into the existing light fixture and then extend a hot, neutral and ground and daisy chain from fixture to fixture.

Reply back to me and let me know if my last answer makes sense.............Thanks.............Kevin:)

Here is a diagram with notes:

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)