Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Why does my outside lights trip the cuircuit breaker when

Customer Question
turned off JA: Soon. I'm trying...
Why does my outside lights trip the cuircuit breaker when turned off
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Electrician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Ok
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The system was put in earlier this morning
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just to know the reason on why it only trips when the lights are turned off
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
9/26/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The breaker is tripping due to incorrect wiring.

2) Are the exterior lights controlled by a wall switch or a photo eye or a built-in dusk-to-dawn dimmer on the lights?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The exterior lights is wierd to a switch with both lives going into L1 and both neutrals are in L2

Thanks for the replies.

1) If the switch is a single pole type, it should contain 1 hot from the circuit feed and then a switched loop wire that extends from the switch out to the lights. the neutral is not wired to the wall switch. Only the hot circuit feed and the switched loop are connected to the switch.

2) Is this how the switch is wired?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the neutral should be connected via connector block and not in switch

1) The neutral wire from the circuit splices directly to the light fixture neutral wire and bypasses the wall switch.

2) Neutrals are never allowed to be switched. Only hot wires are switched.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks for your help

No problem, glad to assist.

1) Re-wire the switch and/or light fixture and reply back to me and let me know how you make out. Thanks...........Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor