Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have a 16400 4 switch. 3 of the switches work fine but one

Customer Question

I have a 16400 4 switch. 3 of the switches work fine but one is temperamental. I can change the code to a different number which allows the temperamental switch to work just fine but the others don't work at all. Is there some way I can combine codes so that all of them work perfectly together? I have painstakingly gone through every combination of codes but there is no ther code that operates all of the lights.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Is this a DSL type control?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Don't know what that means. It is a Leviton 16400-4.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

It is an Intellietouch DHC. Your issue is caused by the control and the receiver being on different phases of the service. When a 2 pole load is in use the signal will jump phases and work. When no 2 phase loads are in use the signal can't find a path to the receiver. To correct the problem you need to install an amplifier bridge at the panel.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure what that means. Is there a layman explanation??
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Your electric service has 2 phase wires. Half of the house on one and the other on the second one. Signal on either can't jump without a pathway. the use of a 240V appliance will provide a path when in use, most times. The only way to correct the problem is to install a bridge. See the attachment.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

2nd attachment

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do you install it?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

It connects to breakers in the panel. The installation is very simple as the instructions will show.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I still don't understand how it would have worked in the past (which it did for years) nor why that lamp works fine on a different code??
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

The codes are sequential at the controller. As I said, the signal may or may not reach the receiver depending on factors that the Bridge will correct. I've done many home control installations and can only give you the benefit of my experience.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Here's the wiring diagram