ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

The test button on breaker panel won't work, About an hour,

Customer Question

The test button on breaker panel won't work
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About an hour
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I just want to fix it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

A test button not working on a GFCI Breaker, an AFCI Breaker, or a AFCI Combination Breaker is an indication of a defective breaker.

If you will replace it with the same model from the same manufacturer, this should resolve the problem. Be sure to wire the new one like the old one was wired.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. So on the panel there are two switches that control power to the back rooms of the house. Both these switches have yellow TEST buttons on them. I've tried to reset both these buttons so that the back lights will come on but the button won't stay depressed nor will the switch stay flipped. Are both switches faulty?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

That is a valid concern. If they both stopped working at the same time, they are probably both defective. Were you in the area that experienced power outages from Hurricane Hermine? Lightning & outages are brutal on these hybrid, electrical/electronic devices. If both circuits worked , you might want to replace one device, try it on both circuits one at a time to verify that there is not a problem on the circuit itself. If both work, buy the second replacement device.