Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I'm a contractor, and one of my client's lighting system

Customer Question
work with low voltage magnetic...
I'm a contractor, and one of my client's lighting system work with low voltage magnetic switches. The transformer burned up a few months ago, I replaced it and everything was fine until recently, the reset button pops out after about an hour. What's the best way to find the cause of the problem
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
9/7/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. There are 3 types of possible low voltage light switches. The type depends on the type of relay used. There are 2 type relays that are found in a control panel and one type found at or in the box the light fixture is connected to. Tell me the number of wires on the switch to know what type of system you have.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the magnetic relay is inside the ceiling junction box, (I know because I replace one before), the switch has a spring which makes a moments contact when pushed, i think there's 3 wires to the switch.

OK, having a 3 wire switch, remove the switch and touch the wires together 2 at a time. you have a common and 2 function wires. If you get the relay to operate correctly you'll need to replace the momentary switch. If no function, replace the relay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't look like you understood my question correctly. When the reset button that controls the transformer is on all my lights work properly, they go on and off. how ever after a short while the button that powers the transformer pops out again.

Do all the lights function properly when the transformer is working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they do. I just told you that.

To overload the transformer either one of the relays is holding or there is a short on the feed circuit to the relays. At this point I'm going to opt out and make the question available to other experts for comment.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician