Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Outlet replacement with a gfci. Has 3, 3 black and ground. I

Customer Question

Outlet replacement with a gfci. Has 3 white, 3 black and ground. I left the top white and black alone and put them into the top screws. I pig tailed the bottom 2 white and black and then put each into the bottom screws. The red light is flashing but i don't have power and reset/test does nothing.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I need to know if the loads will both need to be protected. There are several way to wire the device.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure about loads to both.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is in a bathroom and there is one other outlet (both are not gfci, but should be)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Was planning on swapping them
Both with gfci
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

OK, look at the back of the device. You'll see that one set of terminations are marked "Line", that is where the pair incoming with 120V go. The terminations marked "Load" is where you put the other wires on to have all protected from this device. If not required to be protected they connect with the incoming to the Line terminations. Black wires to gold screws, white wires to silver screws.