Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Is some there? First time. Can I ask you a quick question,

Customer Question
Hi is some there? JA: I'll...
Hi is some there?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: First time. Can I ask you a quick question
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm literally in middle of installing a light timer if I can't then I will stop
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I wired 3 wires from wall to device even though diagram had 5 to 5. Timer on and can program it but still doesn't turn on lights. Is it possible I wired wrong even though timer on
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
8/28/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you.

1. Tell me the make and model number of the timer.
  2. Give me a count and colors of the wires in the box.
  3. Is the timer replacing a single pole switch?
  4. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This conversation was interrupted as thought I was just asking then forced to put in credit card $5 then upped to at least $11 if not $16 so not thrilled but if you can really get me through this then yes worth it. I am replacing an older intermaruc light timer (half of wall plate other half a switch) in garage. Had three wires two black and bare copper. New one is called utilitech model tm-097. Has two holes in four corners in back and wiring diagram has 5 wires coming from wall. So guessed and connected three could figure one was found. Have no tools. Timer working and can program but lights don't come on

The new timer required a neutral connection. Having 2 blacks on the old one indicates one is hot and the other is the switched hot. Connection of a jumper from white wires in the box to the timer will solve your problem. A tester will identify the Line wire. It will read 120V to ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's a jumper (a piece of wire I take it) and goes from one of white wires that I identify by testing to exactly what hole in timer. Then all should work?

Jumper= short wire

Terminations should be marked. (L in)Hot, Neutral & (L out)Load.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so your saying I should be able to find a wire marker ? Above you said I had to test to find the white wire to identify it as " line. " wire. So what marking us wire called line. Will it be attached to the switch and then what or it might be attached to switch wire. Ok then take the two wires add jumper wire and take jumper wire to what hole in timer? Do you see wiring diagram?

Diagram not clear. There should be L in. L out & Neutral.

You are testing for the hot wire not the neutral. The whites are neutral. One of the blacks is a hot, the other the load wire.

Hot to ground = 120V

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still confusing. So two whites wires in box (both of them) need to be connected to a wire and other end hoes to (1 or2) holes in one corner marked N. Other holes are marked G (has one copper wire from wall in now) , says hot wire from wall to hole labeled l-1 (has random black wire from wall
into one hole now) And load wire goes to holes marked L-0 . Nothing. Other holes marked neutral have two random black wires from wall Has Sounds like you don't have right diagram?? So if count ground 4 wires.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try to do tomorrow if you give me clear directions on how to find right wires from wall and what holes they specifically go in as labeled above will be busy night w thru tonight but look forward to your response and trying tomorrow AM. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so box is your attempting to show back of timer that has two holes in each corner labeled like this but issue is fining the wires Gov in I now note you don't even have jumper anymore? How do dentist the wires from the wall that go into the labels on timer. Thanks

The white wire is a jumper from the existing 2 wire connection. You need a tester to identify the hot wire (L in)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I now have all the wires out and so many more than you said and seem all hot. Can I send a photo

What are you using for a tester?

Give me the count and colors of the wires.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Mike sorry but there are so many more wires than you thought and even tried to send photo and couldn't. This just isn't going to work for this. And would end up taking weeks longer attempting to get back to it so canceled. Thanks for your help though. Nothing against you and have Ben helpful and courteous

No problem, as you will

Good luck.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician