Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

When installing a 125amp subpanel panel can i feed it from a

100amp dp breaker ? Barely...
When installing a 125amp subpanel panel can i feed it from a 100amp dp breaker ? Barely gonna use 30amps.
8/17/2016
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Go ahead, no problem as long as the feeder is 100A.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cool thx

Anytime, you're welcome. Don't forget to rate me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok last but not least, how many 100amp dp breakers to sub panels can i run off a 200amp service panel?

What exactly are you trying to do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tryin to figure out if i should run another sub or just add to the one I already have

If you have a 100A sub panel and need another there are other considerations.

How long is the existing feeder?

What size is it?

Is the feeder a 4 wire cable?

Is the new panel to be in the same building?

Just how many additional panels are you needing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All in the same building. Feeder wire would be bout 5 feet. Panel will be next to the service panel and would be 2 wire.

The feed to the new sub panel needs to be 4 wire. 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground. The wire size is 2,2,4&4 Aluminum. I suggest using a 100A lug kit instead of a breaker if this is off the existing sub panel. The main for one will serve both. You may not be able to use a 100A breaker, check the label on the existing panel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why not a 2 wire? Copper.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's off the service panel not the sub

Off the main service panel you'll need a 2 pole 100A breaker in either the main panel or the sub panel being only 5 ft apart. You can use copper but you still need 4 wires per code.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know. I have all that already

Your follow up question was why not 2 wire. You need 4 wires not 2.

2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. It's a #2 wire. The question was can i have 2 100amp breakers feeding subs off a 200amp service panel

Yes you may. The only limitation is if the label limits the size of any breaker.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You mean the label on the service panel correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The max is 100a

That means you can install 100A breakers. Number possible is no concern.

You haven't rated my answer yet. Is there anything more required?

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician