Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I am building a house and the electrical work has already

Customer Question

Hello -
I am building a house and the electrical work has already been done. I am going to pull wire for speakers, cameras, alarm and data lines myself. The electrical panel will be in the basement and most of the wire goes up to the attic and is distributed throughout the entire home this way. There is wire absolutely everywhere in the attic. I didn't want to lay any of these low voltage lines on top of any 110 lines but I have no options aside from running every single wire down from the attic, into the basement and then back up into a closet I'm putting all this equipment in.
Will it be ok for me to simply lay the low voltage lines across the 110's? I don't want to mess up the inspection and want everything within code.
I'm pulling wire for 8 speakers, 6 data lines, 12 wired alarm switches and 4 cameras. Lots of wire.
Thank you in advance.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You might consider using a screw in cable hook to separate the wire. One hook every 5 ft up off the ceiling framing below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does code require? is it a fire hazard if I just lay them across the 110 wires? I will need to access the attic in the future and the idea of having to circumvent 30+ wires strung across the ceiling.....I would rather just run them down to the basement.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You can lay them on the wiring in the crawl space keeping 7 ft. Away from the shuttle or stairway. The hooks would only be a more organized application.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wiring is all in the attic....does that make a difference?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Attic high enough to stand and has a floor, crawl space is access area over ceiling, no floor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Learn something new every day.....OK, just to clarify, I can run all my security, surveillance, cat6 and alarm cables across the existing 110 wiring and it would pass inspection? I like the idea of the hooks - I may try that - but if it's not in the cards (they are drywalling wednesday) I may be stuck just laying them in the crawl space
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Check the link below for a GI-BR-100-WS. IT'S A 2 INCH open ring wood screw in hook $1.35 EA.

http://www.cableorganizer.com

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Here's the hook

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

The question is still open. If we're done please rate the answer. Thanks.