Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I just upgraded a panel and service feed from 100 amps to

Customer Question
150 amps. Meter is rated...
I just upgraded a panel and service feed from 100 amps to 150 amps. Meter is rated up to 200 amps. While reconnecting the circuits I found a line that was disconnected but Hot. Not only was it Hot it was a hot neutral (green) wire coming out of a flexible conduit. The black and white wire in the conduit fed the kitchen and dining room lights on the main level. This hot neutral line controls the wall sconces for 2 upstairs bedrooms and a light to the basement stairs. Even though it was hot the lights did not turn on. I tried tying it into another hot bundle and the lights still did not go on. I used a jumper to test other solutions. I switched off all the other breakers and touched it to the grounding bar since I am certain that's where it was connected originally. Lights did not go on. I switched on the breakers and touched the line to a breaker terminal and the lights came on. I added another 15 amp breaker to resolve that circuit and it seemed to solve the problem. I was totally against the idea of feeding power back to the board through the breaker but it was the only solution that worked for that circuit. Now the owner says his lights are burning super bright and hot in the wall sconces and bulbs are going out in the basement as well as. So the Question is is there another way to connect this line so without feeding the circuit back to the panel
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
8/15/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) All electrical circuits must only originate from the panel and never back-feed to a panel. The only circuits that are allowed to back-feed to a panel are standby power such as a generator, solar and/or wind power.......ie....... all external circuits not supplied by the electrical utility.

2) It is against code to switch a white neutral wire. Only hot wires are switched and originate from a breaker. A white neutral wire is not a hot wire unless it originates from a double pole breaker or is spliced to a black wire and has been re-identified with black tape as now a hot wire.......ie.....commonly found on wall switches when the wires are Romex or another cable type.

3) Green wires are only used as equipment ground wires and nothing else. A green wire is never a hot and never a neutral wire. It is ground only.

4) I suggest to disconnect the hot wire, the neutral and the green ground from this circuit inside the panel and tone out the wires either using a continuity tester or a cable toner and determine where these wires all originate from and their final destination.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor