Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I am installing a hot tub. The requirements are 50a 240v. I

Customer Question

I am installing a hot tub. The requirements are 50a 240v. I need to know what type and guage of wire to go from the service panel to the disconnect for the spa which is a distance of about 110ft. The wire will be run through the attic from one side of the house to the other
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just starting to get information today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can put in the 50a gfci and run the wire. I might pay someone to connect to the spa
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Standby for maybe 10 or 15 minutes as I need to calculate the voltage drop. I will reply back with answers shortly.........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) The National Electrical Code recommends that the voltage drop be limited to a maximum of 3%. Calculating a 240 volt @ 50 amps on a 110 foot run results in using 4 AWG Aluminum conductors for the 2 hots. The equipment grounding conductor needs to be sized as 8 AWG aluminum. The feeder circuit needs to be a 4 wire circuit with a GFCI disconnect. If the hot tub is a combo of 120 and 240 volts, the feeder circuit needs to be a 4 wire circuit with 1 neutral. If only a 240 volt load, then the neutral wire is not required.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) 4 AWG Aluminum feeder conductors results in a voltage drop of 2% or a loss of 4.7 volts. Therefore, 4 AWG Aluminum is code compliant.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)