Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I'm designing a 56 site RV park with 3 washer / dryers. All

Customer Question
sites will have 30/50 amp...
I'm designing a 56 site RV park with 3 washer / dryers. All sites will have 30/50 amp connections. I need to calculate the total electrical load needed for the park and design a utility layout for the park.
An electrician I've consulted locally has suggested I need qty 6 200 amp meters with no more than 10 pad sites per meter. Additionally he suggested the first run from meter to pad site should be no more than 100'.
I've met with the local utility company to have the meters / poles / transformers installed and they told me they dont understand why my electrician said no more than 100'. They are also not sure why 200 amp meters vs larger meter, etc.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
8/9/2016
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

I can assist with your question. I need to know what supply is available - 120/240 volt single-phase or 208Y/120 volt 3-phase, then I can do some work on it and get back with you.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok if it's better to talk you can call me >(###) ###-####

Thank you, ***** ***** for the extra expense (phone calls are a premium service) unless you want to talk.

I do need the available service voltage & type though, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's new construction so nothing is installed. Local utility company will install correct transformers as needed. I need to provide total amps for the property. Coming off main line so plenty of power. I was planning on 120/240 1-phase

10-4, thank you

I agree with utility, don't know why the electrician specified 6-200 A Meters, perhaps he was a little confused on the code or the 100 foot specification to the first site.

One method of serving your needs is to install 6 ea - Main Breaker Panel with Feed-Thru Lugs. Five panels would have a 150 A Main, the sixth would have a 200 A Main. The panel with the 200 A Main would be used to supply one run to RV Sites and the laundry circuit (s). Each of the 150s would supply one run to RV Sites. There are other, more expensive methods for the service.

For this type installation, you will have one utility meter, a CT Meter.

Each service drop should consist of 3 ea - 3/0 THHN Copper.

The run to each site, unless runs are of excessive length or begin an excessive distance from the service, or both, should consist of a quad aluminum cable suitable for direct burial, normally 4/0, 4/0, 2/0, 4.

Each site pedestal would have feed-thru lugs similar to Milbank U5200-XL-75. Be sure to specify Loop feed-thru lugs.

Note: This pedestal includes a 20A, 125 volt recep that each site is required to include.

I can provide other services at additional cost such as a sketch of the service and/or a sketch of the service & sites. Let me know if interested and I will send a quote separately.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck with your project.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I think he wanted to limit to 200 amp meters in order to keep costs down. He did mention that going over 200 amp meters would require the purchase of something else, additional work, etc.I'm in the County only so there are no electrical inspections required, but I do want to build it correctly. I can provide a layout of the property (attached) and show where the poles will be installed / underground. I am looking for someone that can do the following:
1) Given the meter location I show on the sketch (attached) I need someone to sketch the different "runs" from the meter(s) to the sites
2) Specify line size for each runI don't know if direct burial is less expensive, but I was planning on using conduit vs direct burial. I was also told aluminum would be less expensive to use vs copper.Please provide a quote and timeframe once you view the attached pad site layout. I've included a couple circles to show ~200' from planned meter locations. The utility provider is currently planning on setting 3 meters > qty 2 200 amp meters and new pole on the bottom of the property (circle on sketch) and and underground transformer on the square location on the sketch. Given the guidance I was given by other electrician we were planning on putting qty 10 pad sites on each 200 amp meter located on the pole (takes care of 20 sites) and we were going to run the rest off the underground transformer (square on sketch).

So, per the above (no more than 10 sites on each 200A service) is the pad mount transformer large enough to accommodate 36 sites and the laundry equipment?

Also note that an installation like this is contrary to the National Electrical Code in that the code does not all multiple utility services on the same property unless they are meet certain exceptions allowed by the code. This installation does not meet any of those exceptions so from the point of view of the code, ie; safety, so it would not be safe from that vantage point.

Can you verify that the pad mount transformer will accommodate the 36 sites (the other twenty will feed from pole) and the laundry equipment? Will the laundry equipment be in a building with lighting, heating/air conditioning? If so, this is additional electrical load that is not accounted for.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To clarify > I dont need an actual drawing. I just need to know for run #1 connect sites 1,2,3,4, etc and wire size between each run, etc.

Understood, will do.

Can you please get the info about the pad mount transformer tomorrow?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The utility company will size the transformer based off the amp load I gave them. I told them 800 amps (to serve 36 pads / 3 washers / 3 dryers). In total I told them I needed 1200 amps for the RV park > 400 off pole (qty 2 200 amp meters) and 800 amps from the underground. I did this based on the electrician saying he wanted the 2 meters installed. As an option I can simply have the utility company size the underground transformer for all 1200 amps (again this should be verified based on 56 pads, etc)It's a clean slate at this point as utility provider must install all meters, poles, transformers, etc.

OK, thank you for the clarification, understood.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Slight change of plans... Adding the underground transformer added $9k to the price so I'm back to a total of qty 6 200 amp meters. Qty 2 on the pole as shown and qty 4 about 200' the property line.When can I get an estimate for the layout? I'm literally ready to start digging and need to finalize the different runs.

OK, thanks for the update

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have an update? If I don't hear back within a couple hours I'll need to find someone else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still no update?
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The last expert opted out and if you want to continue, I'll take over. Let me know.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician